I've been perfecting a snack mix over the last several months using items from Trader Joes and Safeway. People seem to like it so I'll share it here. I don't have a name for the mix yet, so brownie points for any witty suggestions.
- peanuts (preferably unsalted or lightly salted; dry roasted is yummiest)
- dried edamame (a friend and I exploded with joy when we first saw these at Trader Joes. And then we nearly ate the whole bag on the car ride home.)
- honey-sesame sticks
- raisins (golden raisins work too)
- sunflower seeds (hulled. although I often find these are too small for the mix)
- diced pineapple (getting harder and harder to find so i've had to substitute it with various dried fruit mixes when I don't feel like going to Whole Foods.)
I've put a lot of work into finding the magical balance between taste, nutrition, and sometimes more importantly, cost. I'd like to add yogurt chips to the mix but I can't find them ANYWHERE. Yet, do you know how many ready-made trail mixes come with yogurt chips? Why don't those same stores carry just the yogurt chips too? When I search online, I'm directed to pet food stores because (apparently) rodents love yogurt chips. I just can't bring myself to order rodent food for our trail mix.